This Preemie crochet blanket it’s a fast and simple crochet pattern to make and a perfect way to learn new stitches. This preemie crochet blanket it’s a textured baby blanket perfect as a gift for a baby shower, for Christmas, or to crochet for your baby. The preemie crochet blankets are the perfect projects for premature babies, preemie 32 weeks, they are the perfect projects to crochet to donate for those sweet babies who have such a rough start into the world.
For this crochet baby blanket, you have to know how to crochet the houndstooth stitch and the Alpine stitch. I think these two stitches are perfect for blankets, they create a solid fabric with a really good drape and the result is a strong, durable fabric that is ideal for crocheting baby blankets. And the textured pattern will hold up very well in the washing process.
The dimensions of my preemie crochet blanket are 64 cm/ 25 inches long and 48 cm/19 inches in width.
For my preemie crochet blanket, I’ve used 200 g of this 100% cotton yarn (4 x 50 g) (50g= 170m/ 1.76oz= 185 yards) and a 3.5 mm hook.
This is very high-quality cotton yarn. This yarn is made from 100% combed Turkish cotton, which is soft, flexible, and exceptionally durable. Textiles in Turkish cotton stay beautiful for many years and only get softer with use. This yarn also excels when it comes to its absorbing powers, but is quick-drying at the same time. The color chart includes plenty of gorgeous colors, you just have to decide what color you like and get started. Here you can buy this yarn: http://bit.ly/3tQvgmU
Here you can find your favorite color: http://bit.ly/3m9VQ6W
The gauge for 10 cm (4″) with a 3.5 cm hook: 20 stitches x 19 rows.
The pattern uses US crochet terminology.
sc= single crochet;
dc= double crochet;
fpdc= front post double crochet;
If you like to support my work as a crochet designer and support me to provide more free patterns and designs, buy me a cup of coffee:
The instructions for the Preemie Crochet blanket:
The Chart for the houndstooth stitch:
The video tutorial for the houndstooth stitch:
The written pattern for the Preemie crochet blanket:
Start with 83 chains.
Row 1: In the 2nd chain from the hook crochet a dc, sc in next chain, *dc in next ch, sc in next ch*, repeat *-* until the end of the row;
Row 2: Ch 1, dc in the single crochet of the previous row, sc in the dc of the previous row, *dc in next sc of the previous row, sc in next dc of the previous row*. Repeat *-* until the end of the row.
Make sure to crochet every single crochet stitch in the double crochet of the previous row and the double crochet stitch in the single crochet of the previous row.
Repeat row 2 to complete the pattern. In total crochet 101 rows. Next, we’ll crochet the edge in rounds. For the edge, we’ll crochet one round of single crochet and then we’ll continue with six rounds of the Apline stitch.
The edge for the preemie crochet blanket:
1. Round 1: After you finish row 101 don’t cut the yarn, don’t turn your work, and start to crochet one round of single crochet. You’ll crochet 1 sc for every row on the length, 3 sc for corners, and 1 sc in every stitch for the width. You should finish the round in a corner making 3 sc crochet and slip stitch to the first single crochet to close the round. You should have 378 stitches.
2. Round 2: ch 2 (don’t count as a dc), dc in the same stitch and continue crocheting double crochet in every single crochet of the previous row. When you reach the corners crochet in the second stitch 3 double crochet stitches. Slip stitch to the first stitch of the round to close the round. You should have 384 double crochet stitches.
3. Round 3: ch (don’t count as a stitch), single crochet in the same stitch and continue to crochet one single crochet in every stitch of the previous round. When you reach the corners crochet in the second stitch 3 single crochet stitches. Slip stitch to the first stitch of the round to close the round. You should have 392 single crochet stitches.
4. Round 4: ch2 (don’t count as a stitch), dc in the same stitch; *crochet 1 fpdc skipping the next sc and going around dc in the round below the skipped sc, 1 dc in next sc*. Repeat *-* until you reach the corner and in the second sc of the corner crochet: 1 fpdc around the second dc below, 1 dc in the second sc of the previous round, and 1 fpdc in the same stitch as the first one. Dc in the next stitch and continue repeating *-* until the end of the round crocheting the corners as you did for the first one. You should have 392 stitches.
5. Round 5: repeat round 3, at the end of the round you should have 402 stitches.
6. Round 6: repeat round 4.
7. Round 7: repeat round 3, at the end of the round you should have 408 stitches.
Wash the preemie crochet blanket by hand or in the washing machine at a maximum of 40 Celsius degrees; I prefer 30 Celsius degrees for all my cotton items. Dry it flat and then iron it choosing the temperature for cotton.
Here are my other free patterns for crocheted or knitted baby blankets:
I hope you enjoyed this preemie crochet blanket. Also, I can’t wait to see your photos with this crochet preemie. Also, feel free to tag me when you share your project on Instagram or Facebook, or you can use the hashtag #turquoisewithvanilla.
And Subscribe to my YouTube channel for my video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUpzoP-RDaJV1_2kvJMh5QQ/videos
*Some links may be affiliate links, allowing me to make a small commission on any products purchased through my recommendation. Please note that this does not influence my opinion or recommendations in any way.
Copyright 2021 Turquoise with vanilla. All right reserved. This pattern and photographs of items on this site are property of Julia Bleau @Turquoisewithvanilla. Also, please DO NOT sell the pattern and claim this pattern as your own. The pattern is for personal use only and may not be translated or reproduced in another language. Please respect my rights, DO NOT share or publish this pattern anywhere without my permission. You can sell the items made with this pattern but please credit Turquoise with vanilla as the designer.